For the fifth consecutive year, Remington College – Colorado Springs Campus served as host of the popular annual 9Health Fair, held on Monday April 16, 2012, from 8 a.m. to 12 noon on Campus.
Our Campus was one of seven Colorado Springs locations serving as host sites for this annual healthcare event, which is endorsed by the Colorado Medical Society, Colorado Nurses Association, and Colorado Hospital Association.
Among the many low-cost or no-cost screenings and other features offered during the event were:
- Rheumatoid arthritis screenings.
- Vision screenings.
- Dental screenings (cancers, etc.).
- Driving reaction time.
- Pap smears.
- Glucose checks.
- Blood pressure checks.
- Vitamin D level checks.
- Bone density checks.
- Opportunities to speak with a pharmacist and a medical doctor on site.
Although the number of participants was down from prior events, this April 2012 event drew 150 attendees.
About 45 students from the Campus helped with event setup and teardown and participated in the following ways:
- Medical Assisting students performed a total of 128 blood draws, along with finger sticks and blood pressure checks.
- Medical Billing and Coding students served as cashiers and greeters, filled out forms, conducted form checks, did pre-screenings, and helped with traffic control.
- Pharmacy Technician students served as greeters, filled out forms, and conducted form checks.
- Criminal Justice students assisted with parking, traffic control, and crowd control.
Director of Education Grace Trujillo said, “Some students were a bit nervous about the blood draws at first, but once they got started, all was good. Our student volunteers were happy to be able to give back, as we try to create that culture on our Campus. They also know that volunteering looks good on a résumé!”
Ms. Trujillo added, “I have been a community volunteer for many years and for eight years specifically with the 9Health Fair. It is hard work but very rewarding. Our students are always excited to participate and even come back once they have graduated! Our Campus has a solid reputation in the medical community for helping to provide this service to local residents, and so the medical community in turn works closely with us.”